Sunday, March 10, 2013

SNL: Justin Timberlake(3/9)

OMG people, if you missed this episode for whatever reason, go and watch it right now...else you can just check out all the clips I’ll be embedding, because there was a LOT of good tonight.

Let’s jump right in, shall we?


The Good


Monologue(8)-This wasn’t so much a monologue as a ‘look at all the other funny people we can smash into one 5 minute segment,’ but damn it all if it didn’t work really well.  There were some od moments that kind of made me go ‘huh?’ but other that that, it was great.  Oh, and JT totally ragged on the internet: “You get to inevitably let everyone down thanks to overly high expectations...Thanks internet!”  



It’s a Date(9)-It was at this point, when the Dick in a Box guys, followed shortly by two wild and crazy guys made their appearance, that I knew this episode was going to be great.  From the songs to the dancing, and Bobby Moinahan’s character clearly knowing he was going to lose, this was almost perfect all around.  The only issue I had with it was Dan Ackroyd seemed a bit more awkward than he needed to be, and it kind of took me out of the sketch a little bit.  But the rest of it was great.



Veganville(10)- In the little commercial peek, I saw the set, and started bouncing off my chair.  I knew what was coming, and it was fantastic.  Even though we didn’t have Chris Parnell for JT to bounce off of, the song choices were inspired and the ending, with the Harlem Shake, I hope means we’ll never have to see said dance again on SNL.


(Not embeddable, BOO-URNS! You should definitely seek this one out, though)

Commercial: Nuvabling(8)-I don’t know why this one made me laugh so much, but it definitely wasn’t in the first half.  But when the earring came around, followed shortly by “and yeah, it DOES hurt” *hahaha*, I was full in.



Weekend Update: Headlines(10)- I literally laughed at every single joke tonight, no lie.I don’t think that’s happened since I started keeping track.  Good on you, SNL writers!

Weekend Update: Segment(8)-Stefon, need I say more?  Ok, I suppose.  It was pretty standard, and almost didn’t make it into the good, but then there was Donald Duck.  And it was awesome.

Maine Justice(7)- This sketch is totally surreal, and definitely funny, but it was felling a little wierd last night, and maybe not totally balls-to-the-wall crazy like it needed?  I’m not really sure.



Prono Girls(7)- This was another completely off the wall sketch, with a bunch of funny lines, but it went on for a million years, which was interesting to me, because I totally expected it to get cut off like that one with JGL a few months ago.



The Meh


Cold Open: Elton John sings the funeral(6)-I think this may have been funnier if they didn’t gloss over the terrible things Hugo Chavez did with a ‘ha ha, isn’t that Hugo so cray-cray?’  Spot on Elton John singing, though.


Caligula(5)- I can kind of see where they were trying to go with this sketch, but it missed in too many ways to get any more than five points.


She’s Got a D!ck(6)-The setup for this sketch was sketchy at best, but the throw away lines were great: “Starring: A cute cute Brunette! A confused black friend!”  I’m pretty sure, though, this sketch is going to get a lot of hate from the internet as it is, so I’ll just leave it at that.


The Rest


JT did a fantabulous job hosting SNL as usual, though I am wondering if I liked it so much becuase of the good use of recurring characters, of if the actual sketches really were good.  I’m pretty sure the WE, if it were in a lesser episode, probably wouldn’t have gotten a  perfect 10, but when a show is rolling on all cylinders, all you can do is try to keep up.


As musical guest, JT was fine.  I didn’t much care for his first song, but the second was was pretty good.

With nothing below a 5, I’m almost positive this episode will end up in the upper echelons of shows, and not only for this season.  Melissa Macarthy is scheduled to host on April 6th, but until then, let’s see how JT holds up against the rest of the season with his score of 7.64. (Which, holy crap, it averaged good!)


1. 3/9 Justin Timberlake(7.64)
2. 11/10 Anne Hathaway/Rihanna (6.60)
3. 12/15 Martin Short/Paul McCartney (5.90)
4. 11/3 Louis CK/fun. (5.89)
5. 11/17 Jeremy Renner/Maroon 5 (5.83)
6. 9/22 Joseph Gordon Levitt/Mumford & Sons (5.71)
7. 9/15 Seth McFarlane/Frank Ocean (5.38)
8. 10/13 Christina Applegate/Passion Pit (5.09)
9. 10/20 Bruno Mars (5)
10. 2/16 Christoph Waltz/Alabama Shakes (5)
11. 2/9 Justin Bieber (4.42)
12. 12/8 Jamie Foxx/Neyo (4.3)
13. 10/6 Daniel Craig/Muse (4)
14. 1/26 Adam Levine/Kendrik Lamar (3.38)
15. 1/19 Jennifer Lawrence/The Lumineers (3)
16. 3/2 Kevin Hart/Macklemore&Ryan Lewis (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment