Wednesday, July 18, 2012

AGT: 7/17 Quarterfinal #3


Aaaand, we’re back, with twelve more acts trying to make it through to the semi-finals.

The big question on everyone’s(and by everyone’s, I mean my) mind is: will the talent pool suck as hard core as last week?

The answer?  Yeah, pretty much.  There were a couple of highlights, but mostly the show was pretty terrible again this week.  Let’s get on to the individual acts, shall we?

The Untouchables certainly were not this week.  Their act was rather boring, even the music was more exciting than they were.  They also didn’t showcase anything new.  All their moves were old news, if you are going to be a yawn-fest, at least give me new shinies to look at.

Rock Star Juggler Mike Price also didn’t live up to his name.  I don’t think juggling is a thing that can make it huge. It didn’t help that he had butterfingers through most of the act.  His fire pins on the unicycle was clearly cut way short due to his bobbling of the first circuit, and he dropped one after he jumped down off the unicycle, too.  His act just wasn’t big enough, even with dousing a poor girl with supposed gasoline and juggling fire over her.

Inspire the Fire was the third act in a row that had a poorly chosen name.  At least this time, they (poorly) chose a song to go with their poor name.  Firework by Katy Perry is a terrible song anyway, and to butcher it, and make it even worse is no small feat, though they did get an assist from the sound mixers, the kings of their craft they are.

Cristin Sandu fell.  On the plus side, his cube spinny thing was neat.

Elusive had a very tricky act.  As in, it was full of tricks, and not a lot of dancing.  It was also very amateurish, and slightly boring to watch, even with the spins and flips and whatnot.  They didn’t really connect to anything, and thus fail to connect to the audience.

Jake Wesley Rogers sang Toxic.  For reals.  It was an…interesting arrangement, for lack of a better term, and was very loungey.  Also:  his hair was ridiculous, and made it really hard to focus on just about anything else.

All Wheel Sports did their act to Bulletproof, and it was neat.  I love any act that has to do with trampolines, so they had me at hello.  Unfortunately for them, the camera people didn’t surprise anyone, and managed to bork up a fun performance yet again. 

Wordspit and the Illest! utterly failed to engage me with their unintelligible lyrics.  I couldn’t stand them in the audition round, I don’t even recall them from Vegas, and now, they tried something new:  an original song, which sucked big time.  I hope I don’t have to see them again.

Jacob William cracked me up again!  He is so freaking funny, it’s almost ridiculous.  I don’t know if it’s the nerd thing, or his supposed awkward character(I don’t think he’s playing), but I just <3 him so much.  His jokes were great, and I love a comic that can use running gags and throwbacks to full effect, which he did.  That’s also pretty amazing considering he had 90 seconds to use that throwback, and did so at least three times.

All Beef Patty was terrible, as I expected he would be from the auditions and from Vegas.  No movement plus a terrible singing voice equals no chance.

Spencer Horsman decided to buck his image, and went for an illusion instead of an escape this time, and I think it may hurt him.  If he does go through, it will be based on his previous performance and screen time.

Lightwire Theater got a huge standing O, and I can see it, but I don’t get it, personally.  They just don’t do anything for me.  They supposedly had a story, but what it was, I could not tell you.  “It’s new and exciting!” the judges tell them, completely ignoring Team iLuminate and Fighting Gravity.  The glowing light shows are getting old, I think we need a new form of technological based entertainment, but I just don’t know where it will come from.

And those were the acts!  Let’s check out my predictions for tomorrow.

Should Go                                           Will go
Jacob William                                     Jacob William
All Wheel Sports                               The Untouchables
Spencer Horsman                            Spencer Horsman
Cristin Sandu                                      Lightwire Theater

Kind of slim pickins this week, and I’m not terribly confident in either of my choices, but I guess we’ll find out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment