Sunday, February 17, 2013

SNL: Christoph Waltz/Alabama Shakes(2/16)

Ahh, that was much better.  I was loling at several sketches, and even some of the bad ones had a couple of things that made me giggle, so let’s jump into…

The Good
Cold Open: Carnival Cruise(7)-Who doesn’t like a poop joke, amirite?  Also, after newspapers were airdropped in: “Don’t worry, God doesn’t hate us.” “What’s in the news…the pope resigned! Oh Lord.”




Commercial: Djesus Uncrossed(7)-I was slightly offended by this, but I was laughing the whole time.




JaMarcus Brothers(7)-The songs titles killed me dead.




Weekend Update: Headlines(7)-Quite a few funny lines to be amused by, for sure.




The Meh

Monologue(6)-Cause Austrian stereotypes are funny, I guess?  I was kind of surprised they didn’t mention Arnold Schwarzenegger at all, but they did have casual Hitler, which bumped it up a point or two.

What Have You Become(5)-I was confused at first, I think a line was skipped or something, because we didn’t get the title of the game show until about a minute in, but then it was ok, I guess.  It was saved from the ugly by the strength of Aidy Bryant giving it right back, and Waltz dancing at the end.

Commercial: Papal Securities(4)-I…this could have been great, but there was something missing pretty hardcore, but I just cannot put my finger on it.

Housewarming Party(4)-This sketch had a funny premise, but it went on for way too long, and you could smell recurring character from a million miles away.

Weekend Update: Segments(5)-Marco Rubio and Steven A Smith were terrible(though Taran’s ‘need a drink’ screech was amusing), but Kate McKinnon killed it as a Russian peasant, and I would be remiss if I didn’t embed it, even though we’re in the mehs.




Secret Admirer(5)-Good concept again, but it literally went on for five minutes, and should have been two, or three at the most.   

The Ugly

Regine(2)-My only note on this is ‘God, I hate this sketch.’  The only reason it didn’t get a one was the breaking.

Fox and Friends(1)-Old, tired, and not even remotely funny.

The Rest

Christoph Waltz had a giddy performance, you could really tell he enjoyed being there, and getting to do some comedy.  He seemed to have a bit of a better grasp on the script than a few other hosts I could mention, and he didn’t hold back on anything.  I really enoyed his hosting job, and wouldn’t mind if he came back again.

The Alabama Shakes did a good enough job, I guess.  I’ve never heard their music before, and I wasn’t a huge fan, but it was decent.  The singer made some crazy faces, though, oh boy.  




This was a much better outing than the last two week for sure, let’s see how it stacks up, with a 5.00 score

1.  11/10 Anne Hathaway/Rihanna (6.60)
2.  12/15 Martin Short/Paul McCartney (5.90)
3.  11/3 Louis CK/fun. (5.89)
4.  11/17 Jeremy Renner/Maroon 5 (5.83)
5.  9/22 Joseph Gordon Levitt/Mumford & Sons (5.71)
6.  9/15 Seth McFarlane/Frank Ocean (5.38)
7.  10/13 Christina Applegate/Passion Pit (5.09)
8.  10/20 Bruno Mars (5)
9.  2/16 Christoph Waltz/Alabama Shakes (5)
10. 2/9 Justin Bieber (4.42)
11. 12/8 Jamie Foxx/Neyo (4.3)
12. 10/6 Daniel Craig/Muse (4)
13. 1/26 Adam Levine/Kendrik Lamar (3.38)
14. 1/19 Jennifer Lawrence/The Lumineers (3)

No comments:

Post a Comment