Monday, November 19, 2012

SNL: Jeremy Renner/Maroon 5(11/17)

This was kind of a meh episode.  None of the sketches were really that memorable, and I was bored through a lot of the show.  I wasn’t expecting a whole lot of Jeremy Renner, he didn’t seem like a very versatile actor, and that was verified during the show, for sure.


Lets get right into…

The Good

Commercial: Your Hometown Vacation(8)- It’s funny cause it’s true!



Weekend Update: Headlines(7)-This kind of encapsulated the meh of this show-I have it as a strong 70% funny, but I can’t remember a single joke.



Weekend Update: Segments(7)-These, on the other hand, were not forgettable, though I didn’t really get the Kat Williams one.  It was buoyed by a very strong appearance by the (real!) Chris Christie, even though that was a titch awkward.



The Avengers(7)-Hawkeye is useless.  It’s another funny cause it’s true!



The Meh

Cold Open: All In book reading(5)-This sketch started strong, didn’t go anywhere, and then petered out at the end.  I think more audience reaction beyond them walking out would have been much better.

Monologue(6)-Was anyone else aware of how good a voice Jeremy Renner has?  I think I would have liked this a bit more if I knew more than one of the songs he did.

The Californians(5)-No.  Just no, writers.  The players cracking up is funny to a point, but have different sketches to do it, please.

The Situation Room(4)-This sketch could have been one minute long, and it would have been great.  Five minutes?  Not so much.

The Standoff(6)-This almost made it to the good, but again, it went on way too long.

Movie Shoot(5)-I think the concept was strong, but the actual jokes, and the execution was really lacking.

Cool Drones(4)-I don’t have it in me to really dislike this animated short, but it really wasn’t good, either.

Coroner(6)-This sketch was fully made by Bill Hader using Taran Killam as a drum, and Taran not breaking for even a second.  Too bad the rest of the jokes were pretty lame.

The Ugly

None this week, amazingly enough!

The Rest

So why were Maroon 5 dressed the same?  That was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen a supposed rock band do.  They looked like a boy band.  They did their annoying song, and then one where Adam Levine didn’t have to falsetto the whole song, and it was still terrible.

Jeremy Renner was passable, but way to self-conscious to be really good.  I think my suspicion was confirmed about his performance.

This show averaged 5.83, which REALLY surprised me, it didn’t seem that strong when I was watching it, but apparently, it was better than I though.  Let’s see how it stacks up.

1. 11/10 Anne Hathaway/Rihanna(6.60)
2. 11/3 Louis CK/fun. (5.89)
3. 11/17 Jeremy Renner(5.83)
4. 9/22 Joseph Gordon Levitt/Mumford & Sons (5.71)
5. 9/15 Seth McFarlane/Frank Ocean (5.38)
6. 10/13 Christina Applegate/Passion Pit (5.09)
7. 10/20 Bruno Mars (5)
8. 10/6 Daniel Craig/Muse (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment