Sunday, November 4, 2012

SNL:Louis CK/fun.(11/3)



This seemed like an exceptionally strong episode.  I was kind of expecting it to be, since Louis CK is a comedian, and theoretically is funny(I wouldn’t really know, I listened to one of his specials, and it was really hard to even pay attention to it, I was pretty bored).  Let jump down to the empirical evidence, and see if it holds up with…

The Good

Cold Open: Mayor Bloomberg’s Sandy address(7)-This was made for me by the Chris Christie impression, I really hope SNL pulls him out more, because there is a dearth of material one could pull from him, and it doesn’t need to be political bashing like they normally do for Republicans.  A close second was the New Jersey ASL translator.



Monologue(8) – I love a good stand up routine, and Louis CK gave a good routine here, it was really fun to watch, even if the mike was really strange.


Weekend Update:Headlines(7)-The lack of political jokes in the headlines really helped push the good to bad ratio up, I think.


Hotel Checkout(7)-A hotel goer gets perturbed at the length of the checkout process.  It’s funny cause it’s true!


The Meh

Lincoln(5)-This was weird.  Louis CK played Lincoln, and he was in modern times, for some reason?  And then, the credits pretended it was real?  I don’t know.  I’ve read a bunch of other reviews saying this was a great piece, and I don’t really see it, but there were some funny moments here and there.

Australian Screen Legends(5)-Australians are laid back, I guess is the joke here.  Oh, and accents are funny, yay!

Weekend Update:Segments(5)-The Mitt Romney piece was dumb, and the social media lady was a lazy joke, but The Girl was another funny cause it’s true kind of thing.

Kryllian Mountain Pass(6)- Villager, after hearing the prophecy the other guy is making a ruckus about: “Zog?  Is that even a real name?  Oh, hi, I’m Nornt.”  I’ll admit, I lolled.

Last Call(5)-Extremely drunk people finding commonalities where none exists?  Another funny cause it’s true thing, with the unfortunate ending of attempted face eating.

The Ugly

Fox and Friends(3)-I just…is that even a thing, with the corrections?  I feel like it’s not at all, and that this one trick pony is ready to be taken out to pasture.

The Rest

This season has consistently gotten hosts that are up for anything, which is great.  Unfortunately, it also leads to terrible ideas making it to the show, when they should have dies in the writers room.  Louis CK is no exception, and this was epitomized in the final sketch, where he was very nearly eating Kate McKinnon’s face.  That’s not to say it was actually funny.

fun., on the other hand, did a great job.  I enjoy their music anyway, so I’m an easy mark, but I think they did a really good job last night as well.



Overall, this show rates a 5.89, so right up there.  Let see how it ranks among the rest of the episodes.  

1. 11/3 Louis CK/fun. (5.89)
2. 9/22 Joseph Gordon Levitt/Mumford & Sons (5.71)
3. 9/15 Seth McFarlane/Frank Ocean (5.38)
4. 10/13 Christina Applegate/Passion Pit (5.09)
5. 10/20 Bruno Mars (5)
6. 10/6 Daniel Craig/Muse (4)

No comments:

Post a Comment