Monday, May 7, 2012

SNL: 5/5/12

This week, I had low expectations.  Eli Manning hosted, and sports people are not generally known for their acting chops.  However, I was pleasantly surprised:  Manning wasn’t afraid to poke fun at himself, and the first half of the show went rather well, though the last half was really mediocre, punctuated by my inability to even stay awake during it.

And now, without further ado: The Good, the Meh, and the Ugly!

The Good




EA Sports Madden Motion Capture(8)-Oh man, I laugh so hard at this one.  Eli Manning can’t figure out how to fake a good touchdown dance, and ‘ideally’ people would know his as the eating a dropped sandwich off the floor dance.  ALSO:  “I think I need more balls” by crazy afro guy.



Commercial: Little Bros(9)-This was another great one.  Eli mentoring little brothers on how to beat up their older brothers, and then vicariously getting back at his older brother Peyton through the kids.  The one thrown in the trunk was my favorite-and don’t worry, they had Andy Samburg play an older brother for that one.

The Meh

Monologue(4)-This was not terribly funny, but Eli really gave it his all.  Fuhgettaboutit!

Commercial: 50 Shades of Gray(6)-+2 for Joel McHale reference.  This was a commercial for Amazon, basically, telling people to get Mom what she really wants: 50 Shades of Gray on the kindle.  It’s not something I would want, personally, but to each their own, I guess.  The various methods of getting the families out on Mother’s day were particularly funny.

Court Proceedings(6)-Eli making the emoticons in the courtroom play was the best part of this sketch.  It really started to go a bit long in the tooth near the end, especially when they were talking about google searches, but pronouncing various internet slang like ‘kewl’ was amusing.

News with Herb Welch(4)-I feel like this recurring character should be put to rest until they can figure out something new to do with him.  The joke has worn a bit thin, and you always know he’s going to fake die at the end, so that’s not a surprise, either.

Musical Guest:Rhianna(4)-The production values on her songs was amazing comparatively, but the songs themselves were not good, and really?  Did Rhianna have to grab her crotch in EVERY SINGLE dance move?  It was frankly distracting.

Weekend Update:Headlines(4)-My tally for the headlines was at 40%, and I think that might even be overstating it a bit.  There were not really any laugh out loud jokes, just slight chuckles.

Weekend Update:Patricia Krentcil(6)­- This wasn’t terribly strong, but I did like the whole poking fun at the Tanning Mom, cause she seems like a terrible person.  I did lol at the toast gag, though
­

Game Show:What is this?(5)­Yet another meh on this night of meh.  The sketch was way too long, and even though they went slightly unexpected with the girl not breaking it off with the boy, and instead doubled down, there wasn’t really any laughs at all.

Ms Drag World(4)-This is another one I was pleasantly surprised at Manning’s willingness, but the sketch was not good.  Eli in a dress did elicit a couple of chuckles, though.

The Ugly

Cold Open:Fox and Friends(1)-I am so over this sketch.  Just because you don’t agree with someone’s opinion, SNL, does not mean they are stupid or make up facts.

Weekend Update:Dictator guy(1)­-Lame lame LAME, that is all I have to say about Sasha Baron Cohen on ANYthing he does EVER.

Helga Handler(3)­-I think this may be another one of those, if I knew what they were lampooning, things.  The weird gobbledy-gook was funny for about three seconds, then I was over it.

Cheech and Chong(3)-This got knocked due to the throwaway line at the end.  I’m looking at you, Sudekis.

Overall: Decent first half, but the second half really tanked hard.  My prediction was technically right, but I thought Rhianna’s and Eli’s ratings would be switched.(Score: 4.53)
Next week we have ANOTHER returning cast member, Will Ferrell and Usher.  My prediction: 4 recurring sketches.
1     

    1. 4/14 Josh Brolin 6.17
    2. 4/7 Sofia Vegara 4.85
    3. 5/5 Eli Manning 4.53

No comments:

Post a Comment