Monday, April 16, 2012

SNL:4/14/12

This week: Josh Brolin/Gotye!

It was Jay Pharoh night, as he was in more skits than you can shake a stick at.  I wonder if someone told him he needed to get it together, or he wouldn’t be back next season, cause I don’t recall him in any sketches last week.

Overall, it was a decent night, with a couple of stand outs, a few mehs, and only one or two truly terribad sketches.

And now, without further ado,  

The Good, the Meh, and the Ugly!

The Good:

America’s Next Top Empire State of Mind Parody Singer(7)-Ke-dollar sign-ha made me laugh with “My songs aren’t parodies.”  Even though this skit went on a titch too long, the premise and execution were funny.  This was Jay Pharoh’s second appearance of the night. (No embed of this one yet, see nbc.com for the full episode!)

Digital Short:Lazer Cats 7(8)-I don’t know why, but these amuse me every time.  This time, they had actual Steven Spielberg shilling for them, and the movie was full of Spielberg homages, from ET to Raiders.  This definitely falls into the so dumb it’s funny category for me.



Musical Guest:Gotye(9)-I really enjoy his music, and he did great live as well!


Slow Mo Hallway(8)-The new girl getting a tour while the cool kids walk in super slow mo down a hallway—movie trope or paranormal activity?  Well, it’s SNL, so both, of course!  This had me giggling the whole way through, even though it went on too long as per usual.  Random kid nicknamed ‘Small Bladder’ had me rolling. (No embed here either :( )

Digital Short:Gotye with Andy and Taran(8)-Andy and Taran stalking Gotye while dressed in the paint costume from his video?  Fantastic

The Meh

Cold Open(6)-Another went on far too freaking long to be considered good.  There were a couple chuckles here and there, but most of it was just rehashing quirks that have already been hashed to death.

Game of thrones Preview(5)-There are so many things in SNL I’m sure I would just be dying laughing over,  if only I followed the source material.  However, as I think is probably abundantly clear by the sheer amount of topics my blog covers, I watch a crapton of stuff.  Unfortunately, that means I can see everything, and if it’s behind a paywall, I’m doubly unlikely to watch.  So, 13 year-old consultant explains why there are so many sex scenes in GoT.  Ok then.  I did laugh when he had to take ‘bathroom breaks’ every few minutes.

The Californians(6)-See GoT preview RE: source material.  I don’t actually know any native Californians, so I didn’t understand the joke in a narrow sense.  I’m sure if this were a Minnesota-based joke, I would have been keeled over, ‘ded of laf’ as one of my online friends says, but as it stood, eh.

Weekend Update(6)-I tallied the jokes that were said, and I laughed at a full 66% of them, but the two segments really pulled the whole thing down.  I really CANNOT stand Garth and Kat, and the ‘What are you doing, North Korea really fell flat as well.

Piers Morgan(4)-I’ve read a couple of critiques that said Taran’s impression was poor, but again: I wouldn’t know.  The correspondents went from :P to what? in my notes, so overall, not a strong skit.

Prom(5)-The students and teacher getting worse and more perverse as the sketch went on was a big fat meh for me.  This was Jay Pharoh’s fourth and final sketch of the night, where he played the only original character he has on SNL, so yay for him?

The Ugly

Monologue(2)-This was terribad, not even remotely funny in any way.  The one joke they had, where Josh Brolin spoke ghetto speak as the whitest person you know(prolly me), veered way too far into the ‘See this joke I’m making? It’s funny, dammit, laugh.’ territory for me.

Overall: This was a much better episode then last week, I had no trouble staying awake for the whole thing.  Most sketchs, if not laugh out loud funny, at least had me thinking, ‘Oh, that’s funny!’  So, good!(Average score 6.17)

Next new episode is 5/5, with Eli Manning and Rhianna.  So we have a sports person, and the other half of Shy Ronnie.  I’m thinking mixed bag.

1. 4/14 Josh Brolin/Gotye 6.17
2. 4/7 Sofia Vegara/One Direction 4.85

No comments:

Post a Comment