Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Braenna from the beginning: A Dwarf's tale


Chapter 1

“Loran,” the dwarven woman screamed.  “I will kill you and ALL of your progeny for doing this to me!”

Loran looked down into the birthing pool, and took hold of his wife’s hand.  “Baerla, my progeny are your progeny as well.  Please keep that in mind before the slaughter begins.”  He quickly dropped her hand and stepped back as the shrieking woman’s other hand came flying dangerously close to his head.

“That DOES NOT HELP,” Baerla moaned, “I thought we were done after Midra, and now, another child?  Midra finally moved on, and we’re not spring chicks anymore, Loran.”

“I know, Baerla.  Everything will be fine.  We’ll have only the one, instead of three young’uns running around.”  Loran wrapped a comforting arm around his wife. 

Baerla sighed and sank into his arms.  “I know, I know.  You’re right, of course.  This little one won’t know what to do with all the attention we will be able to foist on---OOOH DAMN!!  Here it comes!”  Baerla’s face contorted in pain as a low growl emanated deep from within, and she strained with effort.

Loran quickly stood up, and moved into position.  “PUSH!  I can see the head!”  Loran cradled the newbown as she made her entrance into the world.  “It’s a girl!”

Baerla called for her new child, “Let me see her, Loran.”  Baerla sighed contentedly as the girl was given to her.  “What shall we name her…we are running out of people to name daughters after.”

“That’s fine, we can come up with something on our own, then, or we could name her after your mother, Lina,” Loran quickly spat out the last few words.

“Oh no, Lina is too…old sounding,” Baerla laughed, “How about Helane?”

“Ha!” Loran cackled back, “And my suggestion seemed too old?  Hmm…How about Braenna?”

“I like that!” Baerla added, “How about Braenna Elspeth?  I think that has a good sound to it.”

“Braenna Elspeth Ironbeard.  I think we have a name!”
 
Baerla handed the babe off to the waiting midwife, and Loran helped her onto the more comfortable bed.  “Now get a message off to Moira, Yerley, and Midra about their new sister!”

******************
This is my attempt at an origin story for my role-playing character in World of Warcraft---much more to come, assuming I get inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment